The Ohio Kentucky Indiana Regional Council of Governments (OKI) Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Architecture Update and Strategic Plan Framework Project was undertaken to provide OKI with a regional plan for Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) projects and an ITS architecture. This ITS plan and architecture will:
1. Provide OKI and other agencies with tools to ensure that the planning, deployment and integration of ITS systems throughout the state is done with a common framework through ITS architecture and standards development;
2. Bring the region into compliance with requirements defined by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and Federal Transit Administration (FTA) for development of ITS projects; and ultimately
3. Assist in the maintenance and operations of the statewide transportation network
The architecture defines possible integration opportunities between agencies within the region and identifies how cooperation between the agencies in the deployment of ITS systems can be used to satisfy transportation needs. By defining what currently exists in the area of ITS deployments, the regional ITS architecture can be used to identify gaps in needed ITS services and can identify how these gaps might be addressed. The architecture can then be used to efficiently structure implementations of ITS technologies. By creating a long range plan for the implementation of these systems and technologies, agencies can:
1. Prepare for future expansion
2. Leverage funding
3. Identify standard interfaces
The purpose of this OKI Regional ITS architecture web site is to encourage use of the regional ITS architecture and gather feedback so that the architecture is used and continues to reflect the intelligent transportation system vision for the region. The menu bar at left provides access to the stakeholders, the transportation systems in the region (the Inventory), the transportation–related functions that are envisioned, and the existing and planned integration opportunities in the region.
The menu bar at left provides access to the stakeholders, the transportation systems in the OKI region (the Inventory), the transportation–related functions that are envisioned, and the existing and planned integration opportunities in the OKI region.
The final report and appendix for the regional ITS architecture is available here.
The architecture database (RAD–IT database) is also available for download here.